Sunday, July 18, 2010

Winter White (accompanied by a Red)


My boyfriend says I hate the cold. I don't. I love it. If I'm in bed snuggling. Or in front of a fire with a beautiful glass of Red. Or in a cosy restaurant with good friends - and that Red again.... Seems to be cropping up a lot doesn't it? Which leads to my next point. Winter indulgence......

It's harder to be naked in Winter. And easier not to be. But I'm training myself not to think that way - otherwise come Summer one tends to be in for a nasty surprise. So I steam up the bathroom (somewhat akin to putting Vaseline on the lens) and take a good, long hard look at myself every morning and night. I am brown in Summer. Let's just say I'm a paler shade these cooler months. Tans make you look thinner. Everyone knows that. So what I am doing is forcing myself to be truly honest and to try to like my body - white and all.

It's harder to do things in Winter. It's harder to get up. It's harder to be sexy. It's harder to put those gym clothes on when those flannelet PJ's are just so damn snugly.... I notice it with kids too. They don't want to get dressed. What is the point? They don't care what people think.

I have to confess (and this is a biggie - I'm sure I will feel better once its out there), there are times in Winter when I secretly wish I was a bogan. I think they are on to something with their flannys and Ug Boots. Seriously. I read somewhere the other day that Ug Boots are selling in London around the 300 Pound mark (where do I find the pound symbol on my laptop - can anyone tell me btw?) Now this is confronting. It's getting expensive to be a bogan. In Winter anyway. Not sure if prices are hiked on thongs (both types) in the Summer or tattooists decide to set up shop permanently in Ibiza - for an obvious plethora of customers and to let their hair (streaked of course) down themselves.

The other thing about bogans is that they don't seem to give a toss about what other people think. I like that. Also - have you noticed how many of them are stick thin? But now I am really going off track - or tracksuit - seeing we are on a theme. I don't want to be a bogan. I just want to dress like one. Sometimes - sans tatts and the obligitory pack of Winny Reds. I am advocating the classy bogan. Think Lara Bingle. Although not sure about the class there... But I bet she doesn't look bad naked in Winter. Russell Crowe? But only on a good day. You have to admit he's incredibly articulate and he is teaching all those football players to play chess....

Anyway - I will try to maintain some element of class and body consciousness this winter. If you see me on the street, however, in a pair of uggies and gazing longingly in the window of a chocolate shop and carrying brochures for some Spanish getaway- please forgive me. I am just going with the times. I'll worry about demisting the mirror in September.

1 comment:

  1. Chess and football...what is Russell thinking? It will never work.

    But winter and sheep's fleece...a classic combination.

    Winter is the perfect time to release your inner bogan - temporarily of course. Spring will be here soon, just in time before we get tempted to do a donut down the street at 3am or hang those fluffy dice.

    Even though a can of Fosters might go better with ug boots and flannies, cosy winter nights with a glass of red can't be beaten. Cheers Janie!

    ReplyDelete